DUWP Productions Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion

+10
Minooki
pitoli
danielcherng
dy_maraway
XxkatanaoX
Saburu91
anzuronamin
kura x
Silmarama
Ryuuen Tanaka
14 posters

Go down

Which story should we do for PROJECT ONE?

PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_lcap14%PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_lcap55%PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 12 ]
PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_lcap18%PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 4 ]
PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_lcap13%PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Empty PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion

Post  Ryuuen Tanaka Thu May 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for the long delay on things. I wasn't feeling well for quite sometime already and still recovering. ( My arms are in a bad shape, specially my right arm which is in an arms sling-- again.). I deeply apologize, I hope you can understand.

Off to business.

PROJECT ONE -------------

I hope that you have all read most, if not all of the project one entries since it has already been a few days or so past the deadline. I would all like you to discuss, comment and critique each story. Then your choice for PROJECT ONE, and why. Please make all reasons plausible, as I will not accpet it if you only give me a reason such as: "I like it."

You can vote the 2 stories. Please rank them with yout first and second choices.

ENTRIES -----------------

For No One by Red-Rook [Read Here]

Genre: Silent, Semi Horror. Not Sure

Setting: General Suburban Area In America (or wherever) with normal people.

Characters:
C1: Main Character
C2: Secondary Character
C3: The Girl
The other Girl: C1's remembered girlfriend.

All Characters are nameless.

Plot: A man reconciles with a friend from High school along with his room mate. His room mate invites her to a party beyond his friends wishes and something from their past ends up being revealed that no one would want to remember.

Worth of Tears by Furu Kei [Read Here]

Genre: Angst/fiction/drama

Setting: A fictional village near the border between two countries. Mostly forested, plain area but near a few mountains and the mouth of a river where the river touches the ocean.

Characters:

1. Dai
2. Rain

Cultural note: Mourners are usually female…but is male here for symbolism (and my interpretation of a mourner is quite a bit incorrect…. The professional mourner, generally a woman, would shriek and wail (often while clawing her face and tearing at her clothing), to encourage others to weep. The practice is employed throughout Europe, but largely died out in the nineteenth century. They continue to exist in Africa and the Middle East (also in many countries in Asia). >: note copied from wikipedia.

Summary/Plot: A mourner and his life of consistency. A girl who threatens to change it.

Into Dreams by Katanao [Read Here]

Genre: Philosophical (a bit), Fantasy

Setting: Setting 01: Somewhere in Earth.
Setting 02: Alternate World called “Yume” (Dreams). This Alternate World is only opened to some people chosen from Earth and bought there in their dreams. Everyone in this world is able to shape and change the world as they wishes. So basically, this is a ‘Dream World’. If you get too attached to this world, you will never wake up from your sleep and eventually, you will ease to exist in the real world.

Characters: Fyuu (girl) – main character
Fyuu’s parents.
Fyuu’s Classmates:
Myto (boy) – Fyuu’s friend
Rin (girl) – Fyuu’s friend, Lin’s twin
Kyoto (girl) – Fyuu’s friend
Lin (boy) – Myto’s friend, Rin’s twin
People who Fyuu meets:
Rai (boy) – a guy Fyuu meets

Plot/Summary: Fyuu was transported into Yume while she was sleeping one day. There, she meets Raikuson who promised to show her around Yume and teach her about the ways of Yume the next day. Then she goes to school, and tells her friend about this world, but Lin and Rin warned her not to stay in that world for too long.
When she goes back home, she falls asleep and was transported into Yume again. This time, she learnt that all the residents of Yume was actually people who got too attached to the world and was erased from the real world. She learns that Lin and Rin once got invited to this world too, and Raikuson and the other people tried to stop them from leaving, but because they wanted to leave so badly, their feelings changed Raikuson and the other guys.
So now Raikuson helps to redirect everyone who comes into Yume go back to the real world. Fyuu thinks that it’s a sad thing, because they’re still trapped there, and promises to look for a way out for them. In the end though, Fyuu couldn’t go back and was disappointed.

I am the Enemy by JongBom [Note: Late, [Read Here])

Genre: science fiction, horror

Setting: urban/city

Characters:
Lone Man- he is in his 40's. 6'2 caucasian. Uneven stubble. Has just begun to lose his
shape after years of inactivity, depression and alcohol.

They- the extraterrestriallar authorities of planet earth. They possess supernatural powers
and are nearly omniscient (all seeing). They are capable to observe and analyze every single
action and thought of the earth's inhabitants through machines beyond our solar system.

Plot/Summary:
A former cop with a rifle returns to his town of origin to where the horrors all began for
him. He plans on confronting the oppressors of his race in a final face-to-face.

The poll and discussion for PROJECT ONE will run for a week. this thread will be locked after a week.
Thank you.

People who submitted entries are not allowed to vote for their own stories.
Everyone who votes need to give a comment on why that story.

Last edited by Ryuuen Tanaka on Thu May 22, 2008 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryuuen Tanaka
Ryuuen Tanaka
Admin

http://duwp-productions.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Empty Re: PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion

Post  Silmarama Thu May 22, 2008 11:09 pm

I vote for Worthy of Tears. All of the stories are really good, but I've never seen such an idea as that upon which "WoT" is built upon. It can be developed into a fullfledged manuscript easily, I think, with a soft pace to it and many scenic pictures. Pure beauty, and a true meaning behind the words.

As my second.... Well, I have a hard time deciding. I will leave it open; I hardly have the time to give advanced critique right now, I'm afraid.

Ryuuen... I hope you will feel better soon. *hug*
Silmarama
Silmarama

http://silmarama.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kura x Fri May 23, 2008 4:24 am

i voted for Into Dreams....mainly because its not a horror or an angst story. Those are just my preferences. >_>
kura x
kura x

Back to top Go down

Post  anzuronamin Fri May 23, 2008 5:51 am

I voted for "For No one" and "Into Dreams."

The first one, "For No One," I voted for because I liked the silence aspect of it. It was just a nice touch on comics - I love silent comics, as word bubbles make me very tired, for some reason. Rather...reading itself makes me sleepy, I suppose. I just love interpreting things from the pictures alone. Expressions are my favorite things in comics to look at.

I also voted for "Into Dreams" because I liked the dream world-type aspect to it. It always amuses me to think that the place where you dream is actually a seperate world, and I'd really love to see how "Into Dreams" fleshes out. I also love the conflict shown in it - of course any town or place wants new people, but it's a great new take on things for them to realize they need to guide people away at the same time.
anzuronamin
anzuronamin

http://anzuronamin.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saburu91 Fri May 23, 2008 6:20 am

I chose the Worth of Tears story because I love a good cry. And it has a deep story on change and that kicks all ass in my opinion

Saburu91

Back to top Go down

Post  XxkatanaoX Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 am

Worth of Tears - It flows in a great way, and it seems easy to make into a comic. Heartbreaking, but yet it speaks of the truth of some sort. Also, it doesn't have that much speech, and it's mostly actions. The ending was really great too. Very Happy
And the next, I am the Enemy. Because i'm a sucker for science - fic / horror stuff. And i suppose the action scenes will turn out great.
D8
Sorry, no critiques from me, brain dead from shock + really pissed.

XxkatanaoX

http://xxkatanaox.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryuuen Tanaka Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 am

kura x wrote:i voted for Into Dreams....mainly because its not a horror or an angst story. Those are just my preferences. >_>
You should give more reason why.

Anyway, I vote Worth of Tears. Because the story is written in a vivid, most descriptive manner that it would be easy to make a script out of it... also, that it would really be easy to make an image in your mind. However, we might want to work on some parts that seems to be confusing, like the scene where Rain returned to the village. The people that I have asked to read the story thought that Rain died there, even though she hadn't.

For my second vote.. I'll leave it open first. I'll comment again soon.
Ryuuen Tanaka
Ryuuen Tanaka
Admin

http://duwp-productions.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dy_maraway Fri May 23, 2008 10:45 am

I've voted for "Into Dreams" and "Worth of Tears"

Into Dreams looks more like something i could draw and i'll enjoy. The dream world sounds like lots of fun because it can change depending on the person that it's there. I feel we can do a good work with a story like that and there won't be limits about what's possible or not.

Worth of tears has an interesting plot and somehow i'd like to see it on a finished project haha. I don't know how could i say what i've liked about the story... =3=U... my head isn't working very good today so it's hard to think in english today XD... i wanna draw into dreams, but if in the end we have to choose another one, i'd like to do worth of tears...
dy_maraway
dy_maraway

http://dymaraway.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  danielcherng Fri May 23, 2008 10:53 am

Worth of Tears

Definitely, it was such a touching story. I would draw for this story any day. I believe that this story touched the fundamental human desires for peace, love and acceptance and perhaps this is why this story stood out. Many aspects of characters were well written and you can almost imagine the characters alive (and dead) Kudos

danielcherng

Back to top Go down

Post  pitoli Fri May 23, 2008 1:57 pm

I voted Worth of Tears, primarily for the kickass characterization.

Dai and Rain were straightforward - in the sense that they didn't have complicated backstory baggage or intricate relationship webs. I believe this is crucial to the idea of a oneshot. Too much information cannot be bombarded at a reader in the span of 20-30 pages; it just doesn't work. And although they were straightforward, they weren't...one-dimensional or trite. You could really get the sense that you were looking into a real person's thoughts and actions from the descriptions, which I think could work really well in script format.

Plot was also an extremely strong point. In comparison to WoT the other submissions seemed rather vague and inappropriate for a oneshot, though they could easily work in a more serialized format (or at least a succession of chapters). In my opinion.
pitoli
pitoli

http://pitoli.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Minooki Fri May 23, 2008 2:19 pm

I voted for worth of tears because it really grabbed me with the plot and i didn't even have to make myself read it, i just did. The characters were also interesting.

However Into dreams also had an interesting plot, but my vote went to WoT :B

Minooki

http://minooki.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lushan Sat May 24, 2008 5:42 am

I'll comment on each from just my penciller's perspective.

For No One: I like non-wordy comics where pictures do most of the talking, but I've never done an entire silent strip before. This would be feasible, a new terrain for me, and pretty cool for me to draw. I can see how this would definitely test my skills, so I'm looking forward to that if this is chosen.

Worth of Tears: The way it's written gives me a really nice sense of flow. I can see the panels there, and I can picture the people. I think this has a great chance at being a beautiful comic, if done just right. I'd love to tackle the broad landscapes and subtle atmosphere. Personally, this story, out of the 4 listed, would best fit my style.

Into Dreams: Fantasy always gives me a greater range of artistic license. :3 I think it would be a scrunch to fit this idea into a 20-30 page comic, but if a script-writer can handle that, I have no qualms. This reads like it should be heavily toned (more than the others).

I am Your Enemy: I got caught up reading this before I realized that this was totally out of my normal artistic scope. I see this as a heavily inked comic with lots of black space and urban backdrops. This will definitely be a challenge for me as a penciller.

Story-wise, Worth of Tears appeals to me the most. It's relatively simple, with an emphasis on the characters and environment just as much as the plot. Since they're only 2 characters, a nice number to deal with in this genre of story in 20-30 pages, their personalities can come across much more deeply. It's not as action-y as I'd like, but I can deal with that if I can draw pretty landscapes and people. :3
lushan
lushan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tigerman-exe Sat May 24, 2008 9:05 am

Ah, I loved all the stories, I had a hard time choosing.. XD;
I went for Worth of Tears though, since I got into it the most and thought it was quite beautiful, so um yep. Very Happy

Tigerman-exe

http://tigerman-exe.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

PROJECT ONE: Voting and Discussion Empty Worth of Tears

Post  the_krazy_kat Sat May 24, 2008 3:19 pm

"Worth of Tears" is definitely interesting. It's different from the rest and has cultural background in it. This will be a great experience for the teams if we do this project, also I'm sure such a story will attract a lot of viewers once it's finished as it doesn't seem like you don't hear or read anything much about this at all (mainly cause of the cultural background that is added to the whole story plot).

This one I just find completely out of the ordinary or don't see often(or maybe I don't read enough comics lol).
The others are too common a bit.

the_krazy_kat

Back to top Go down

Post  caitiff Mon May 26, 2008 10:46 pm

Voted for Into Dreams and I Am the Enemy.

Into Dreams made me very curious. I've always been interested on how people interpret the realm of dreams, so I guess I want to see this one as well.

But I'm really more into I Am the Enemy because it sounds like a story that is driven by a really strong character -- a man going back to his roots, hoping to move forward by dealing with his past. I'm a sucker for an action-packed character driven story. Grit galore!
caitiff
caitiff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down